When we are at home or invite friends, we want the environment to be cozy and cheerful. And also so that our visitors are left with their mouths open saying: “Wow! Your house is incredible!”. For this, it is not necessary to invite a designer, because knowing the basic rules yourself you can create a beautiful interior, cozy and stylish.
1) Define what the purpose of the room is
The first thing you must determine is what is the destiny of the room in question. No expensive remodeling or furniture will make your home cozy and comfortable to live if your design is poorly thought out. You must start with the following:
- Take into account your lifestyle, the customs of the family, your itinerary and activities.
- Name and write down the spaces you need. Sometimes a slight change in the floor plan can add, for example, a closet or a study.
- Think what areas you can combine (kitchen / dining room, bedroom / wardrobe, etc.).
- Draw a plan of the room and place the furniture there to find the best option.
2) Think about the environment you want to create
Before you start designing your home, think about what atmosphere you want to create in that space and how you would like to feel there: relaxed or full of energy. It is very important to keep in mind if that space will be just for you or you also want to impress your guests.
- Think of a range of colors: quiet or colorful.
- What materials and textures will you use: warm and natural or, on the contrary, artificial and smooth surfaces?
- Use the contrast of sizes, that is, varies large and small objects. This will help avoid monotony and create a stimulating effect. The important thing is that something must unite all the objects (shape, color, invoice, etc.).
3) Symmetry and balance for harmony
If you have an asymmetrical space, you have two options to make it look harmonious: try to create a false sense of symmetry or accentuate its peculiarities.
- Find a focal point in the room (for example, a fireplace, a painting, a window) and create a symmetrical interior around it.
- Use vertical lines, this will make the space look taller.
- Add some accent: that is, first create symmetry and then ruin it slightly.
4) Color and texture always together
You must analyze them together because one thing influences the perception of the other.
- Cool colors are good for warm coastal areas. In return, in a northern city they would look too melancholic.
- Warm colors will create the feeling that the room is a couple of degrees warmer than it really is.
- The bright colors are unsuitable for the bedroom. It is better to use them in spaces where you do not spend much time.
- If you use a predominant color inside, it is important to vary the texture to avoid monotony.
5) Lighting is the most sensual part of interior design
The correct lighting reflects your mood and changes the atmosphere of the space. Light influences our emotions and thoughts. With the help of lighting you can create anything.
- Make the most of the daylight, do not cover the windows.
- Use mirrors Not only do they add light, they also visually increase space.
- Artificial light creates a pleasant atmosphere, therefore apply these ideas: chandeliers, wall, standing and even candles. This will complement the interior of your home.
6) Details determine the interior
It is everything that makes your home a true home. Try to imagine the final result mentally.
- Choose your wardrobe with responsibility. Be aware that your color and material will give tone to all space.
- The different elements must have something that unites them. For example, setting with different cushions is a perfect way to unify all colors and textures of space in one.
- The design of windows is a very important accent of space. It’s better to choose a neutral color for the curtains, so you’re less likely to get bored quickly.
- Fabrics make any space more cozy. Put a vintage shawl on an armchair. Use covers, blankets, cushions.
7) Let what you like most surround you
We are all slaves of our customs and often it is difficult for us to get rid of some objects that provoke certain emotions inside us. In fact, you do not have to do it. Nor do you have to buy something new all the time. The most important thing is to find a suitable place for what we like.
- Start with freeing all walls and surfaces. Now locate things again without trying to repeat how they were placed before.
- Framed pictures or photographs that you like very much, should become the main objects of your space. The lighting, the colors and the location of the furniture; you can organize them around those focus points.
- Do not hang pictures too high. They will look harmoniously at the level of the eyes of a person of medium height.
- Shelves are important for design because they not only help keep the house in order, but also serve to locate accessories and ornaments.
- Live flowers tend to inspire. So they must become an indispensable part of the interior.